Notes and tools for attendees of the HR Leadership Forum (4/5/13 session):
iSAT (Impeccable Service Aptitude Test (HR Edition))
Steve’s TV Interview with Dan Pink, New York Times Bestselling Author of Drive
(Drive: The Surprising Truth about What Motivates Us is discussed)
Here’s what we asked Dan, in this 30-minute interview:
- Is it safe to say that this book is about: the evolution of motivation?
- When it comes to motivating employees, do companies today (by-and-large) have it all wrong?
- Why do you think this book has become so wildly popular?
- What inspired you to write about INTRINSIC MOTIVATORS?
- Do we need to have ALL 3 to survive within a company?
- Mastery is one of the big 3 — How do you define mastery? As a destination … or more of a journey?
- Of all the research you did, what did you find most fascinating?
- How do your findings relate to today’s economy and the future of business?
- Can we start to empower kids to dig down to the true motivations, not follow the expected path?
- How do we truly sit down and take away ANY limitations to our thought process? (unlearn)
- Stories of transformation…someone really realizes that they are not motivated to work in their field, and want to _________ a quick story to motivate us?
- How much has technology allowed us to pursue our new-found motivations?
- This must be a very “feel good ” subject, how do you coach people to ACTION, the crucial step?
- Are people super conditioned to believe that money is the motivation, and if it isn’t, something is wrong with you or you’re strange? (not cool)
- What can we do today to challenge our believed motivations?
PowerPoint Deck (Hosted on Google Drive)
Must-Read Book, Written by The Creator of Zappos Insights